CHICO UNIFIED SCHOOL DISTRICT
JOB ANNOUNCEMENT FOR TRANSPORTATION SPECIAL EDUCATION AIDE
OPEN AND PROMOTIONAL COMPETITIVE EXAMINATION
Salary Placement – Employment is at the fourth step for new employees. Further progressions are yearly through Step 5. There are additional steps for longevity. The Human Resources Office determines promotional employees’ step placement.
Starting Salary: $20.29/Hour | Salary Range: $20.29 – $27.17/Hour
GENERAL INFORMATION & INSTRUCTIONS:
A. Apply on-line at www.edjoin.org.
B. Read the job announcement prior to completing the application form.
C. To claim Veterans’ credit on open entry-level exams, you must submit a copy of your DD214. Those claiming disability Veterans’ credit must include evidence of current receipt of disability benefit by the closing date for filing applications.
D. KEEP THE JOB ANNOUNCEMENT! If you have not received emailed notification for any part of the exam by the day prior to the date announced, call the Classified Human Resources Office at (530) 891-3000 x 20104.
E. Complete all parts of the application. Any requested attachments must be received by 12:00 PM on the closing date. Late applications are not accepted.
The District is establishing an eligible list for Transportation Special Education Aide. The eligible list resulting from this recruitment will be used to fill openings in this class for up to 6 months. Substitutes to work on an on-call, as needed basis for regular employees will be selected from the established eligible list. Any combination equivalent to experience and training that would provide the required knowledge, skills and abilities would be qualifying. A typical way to obtain the knowledge, skills and abilities would be: Some experience in the care and supervision of students, equivalent to the completion of the 12th grade, possession of current certification in First Aid and CPR, and the ability to obtain specialized training as needed is required. Photo copies of current First Aid and CPR certificates must be submitted with the application. Online First Aid and CPR certificates will not be accepted. All persons interested and who meet job related and essential qualifications are encouraged to apply. CUSD is an affirmative action employer and will not discriminate against employees or discriminate in employment of classified personnel with regard to race/color, religious creed, national origin/ancestry, age, mental or physical disability, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, marital status, or medical condition. Bilingual candidates are encouraged to apply.
EXAMINATION AND CERTIFICATION
The examination consists of an oral exam (personal interview) which tests the knowledge and experience needed to perform the typical duties, weighted 100%. The District will determine the top candidates based solely on the information submitted with the application. Successful promotional candidates will have ¼ point added to the final score for each year of service up to a maximum of 5 points.
APPLICATION/EXAMINATION DATES & CERTIFICATION
a. Closing date for filing applications: Monday, December 4, 2023, 12:00 PM
b. Date of Oral Exam (personal interview): Monday, December 11, 2023 (during the day)
c. Certification shall be according to Merit System §1507.
d. Selection interviews will be scheduled as needed following the exam process.
JOB DESCRIPTION INFORMATION
Under direction, to assist a bus driver in ensuring a safe ride for targeted special education students. This position helps complement at-home and at-school programs whenever possible. It provides for any specialized physical health care procedures that may be required, and follows all special intervention procedures as instructed.
Exercises no supervision other than of targeted students.
EXAMPLES OF IMPORTANT AND ESSENTIAL DUTIES
Ability to demonstrate a high degree of positive contact with assigned students.
Ride bus to and/or from school to attend to needs of students who have medical or behavior needs.
Supervise targeted students entering, leaving, and traveling on the bus.
Assist the bus driver with supervision of the behavior of all riders.
Implement any individual programs deemed necessary to the bus environment.
Maintain required reports on targeted students on a daily basis.
Assist bus driver in loading and unloading students.
Work flexible hours
Perform other related duties as required
JOB RELATED AND ESSENTIAL QUALIFICATIONS
Techniques and methods of child supervision.
Cultural and physical differences and needs of children.
Proper English usage, grammar, vocabulary, spelling and punctuation.
Provide necessary assistance to students as needed.
Work flexible hours.
Interact with students that ride the bus on a positive and practical level.
Communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing.
Understand and carry out both oral and written instructions.
Maintain a firm but patient and courteous attitude toward students.
Exercise tact, diplomacy and good judgment in dealing with students.
Establish and maintain effective working relationships with those contacted in the course of work.
Experience and Training Guidelines:
Any combination of experience, training, and skill in dealing with Special Education students or children that demonstrate difficult behavior.
Some experience in the care and supervision of students
Some experience in providing responsible first aid to children is desirable.
Equivalent to the completion of the twelfth grade.
Ability to obtain specialized training in health, first aid, CPR, emergency medical services or a related field.
Ability to obtain training in special behavior intervention procedures.
Licenses or Certificates:
Possession of current certification in emergency first aid and CPR.
In order to perform this job successfully, an individual must meet the physical requirements necessary to complete the essential job duties. Essential duties require the following physical skills and ability to function in stated work environment:
Please refer to the Job Analysis.
EMPLOYMENT INFORMATION FOR BARGAINING UNIT CLASSIFICATIONS
The following employment information is a summary and is not intended to be all-inclusive. For specific details, see the Agreement between Chico Unified School District and the Chico Chapter #110, CSEA.
1. Vacation Credit – Shall be accrued 1 day/month for 0 4 full years of service. Beyond 4 years refer to agreement. Each employee who is in a paid status less than 1/2 of the workdays in any month shall accrue 1/2 of a full month's vacation credit. Each employee in a paid status for 1/2 or more of the workdays in any month shall accrue a full month's vacation credit.
2. Holidays – Employees in a paid status the day before or after the holiday are entitled to holiday pay.
3. Health and Welfare Benefits – Full-time employees of the District receive up to $1,360/month to be applied towards a health plan for themselves and dependents. Part-time employees are eligible with the cost pro-rated based upon hours worked. The District pays the full cost of a dental and a vision plan for employees (and dependents) that work 6 hours or more per day. Any employee working less than 6 hours may elect dental and/or vision coverage at his/her cost. A term life insurance plan is also provided by the District to full-time employees and is available for part-time employees. Part-time employees may have these costs pro-rated based upon hours worked. Dependents may be covered with term insurance at employee expense. Income protection insurance is paid by the District for all employees.
4. Sick Leave – One day of sick leave is earned for each month worked, with unlimited accumulation.
5. Probationary Period – All employees must serve a probationary period of six months in any classification for which they are hired, or which they transfer or promote into.
6. Retirement – All employees assigned 4 or more hours/day must join Public Employees' Retirement System (PERS).
7. Social Security – All classified employees are covered by Social Security and must contribute to the Social Security system.
8. Credit Unions – There are credit unions available for membership by all classified employees.
9. For further information, contact: CUSD, 1163 E. 7th St., Chico, CA 95928 – (530) 891 3000. TTY (530) 895-4030
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY/AFFIRMATIVE ACTION EMPLOYER JOB LINE 530-891-3000
Principals only. Recruiters, please don't contact this job poster.
Do NOT contact this job poster with unsolicited services or offers.