LOCATION: CSU, Chico Research Foundation. This is a grant funded position through the California Department of Agriculture. Continuation of the position beyond September 2019 is contingent on future funding.
COMPENSATION: $36,000 per year
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS: The Postdoctoral Fellow will be responsible for managing fababean field and greenhouse trials at the University Farm and various locations in California. The main focus of the project is investigating the biological nitrogen fixation of a fababean germplasm under varying cultural practices and environmental conditions. The incumbent will lead efforts to identify fababean genotypes with enhanced biological nitrogen fixation in California agroecosystems. The research is expected to deliver valuable information for breeding fababean varieties for cover crop. The incumbent will work directly with the Project Director and coordinate with the research team to deliver the project outcome in timely manner. The incumbent will be responsible for designing and executing experiments, sampling, sample processing, data management, data analysis, reporting and publications. The successful candidate is expected to collaborate with other faculty members in the College of Agriculture at CSU, Chico and contribute in undergraduate training programs.
EMPLOYMENT STANDARDS: The successful candidate must possess the following requirements:
• A PhD in agronomy, plant breeding or related fields, and solid record of peer-reviewed publications
• Knowledge and experience related to field and laboratory nitrogen fixation assessment methods
• Knowledge of the application of the isotopes technique in agriculture
• Knowledge and experiences of field and greenhouse experiments
• Knowledge of cover crops, legumes, and biological nitrogen fixation
• Excellent verbal and written skills
• Ability to work outdoors in all types of weather
• Statistical analysis skills and attention to detail
• Responsible, punctual, and task oriented
• Must work well as a member of a team and have the ability to take direction
• The candidate must possess a valid California Driver's License and good driving record; participation in the DMV Employer Pull Notice Program (driving record) will be required upon hire
BENEFITS: Benefits include options for health, vision and/or dental insurance; employer contributions to a 403(b) retirement plan (beginning year 2); employer-paid life and disability insurance; and paid vacation, sick leave, and holidays.
APPLICATION REQUIREMENTS: Application and announcement can be located on our website. In order to be considered, applicants must submit the following:
• CSU, Chico Research Foundation application
• Cover letter
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Open until filled. Application review begins on October 9, 2018. Applications received after 5:00 p.m. on October 8, 2018 may not be considered. Applications can be submitted:
CSU, Chico Research Foundation
25 Main Street, Suite 206
Chico, CA 95928-5388