The Associated Students of CSU, Chico is recruiting for Sous Chef. This is a full-time, full-year (2080 hours), non-exempt position. The pay range for this position is $24.00 to $27.00/hr, depending on experience. The anticipated schedule for this position is 8:00am to 5:00pm Monday through Friday with an hour meal period. This schedule is subject to change based on operational needs.
QR Code Link to This Post
Associated Students offers excellent benefits to include medical, dental and vision insurance with a generous employer contribution toward the cost. Basic life, AD&D, and long term disability are fully employer paid. Retirement is offered through CalPERS. An employee contribution to this defined benefit plan is required in addition to a significant employer contribution.
The Associated Students (AS) is a comprehensive campus auxiliary corporation of CSU,Chico serving thousands of students, faculty, staff and community members through myriad student programs, services and business enterprises. With an annual budget of more than $21M, the AS operates residential and retail dining services, the Bell Memorial Union, the Wildcat Recreation Center (WREC), and administers the contract for the Wildcat Store (bookstore). Additionally, the AS offers a wide variety of services and programs such as: CAVE (Community Action Volunteers in Education), Child Development Lab, Adventure Outings, Sustainability and student government. Typically, the AS employs more than 100 full and part-time employees and more than 750 students.
In support of campus-wide efforts, the AS is committed to recruiting and hiring candidates who demonstrate and embrace our corporate value and strategic priority of diversity. We take a culturally-informed and identity-affirming approach to all our processes related to employee relationships. We provide timely and intentional opportunities to increase the cultural consciousness and commitment to inclusivity within the Associated Students and actively support University-wide diversity initiatives. Successful candidates are those of diverse abilities and identities who will work to advance policies and practices that will strengthen our organizational culture.
A background check (including a criminal records check) must be completed satisfactorily before any candidate can be offered a position with Associated Students. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the application status of applicants or continued employment of current Associated Students employees who apply for the position.
To be considered, you must submit an application and resume to the Associated Students website. If you view this posting from an alternate platform, please go to https://as.csuchico.edu/ and select "Apply for Jobs" to access our job page. This position is open until filled; applications reviewed upon receipt.
Under the guidance of the Executive Chef, this is an assistant management/chef position with overall responsibility for planning and execution of daily food production for Dining Services. The Sous Chef directs and supervises the work of food service personnel and ensures that all meals are produced in a timely manner according to specified recipes. The Sous Chef demonstrates leadership in food preparation and presentation, kitchen safety and sanitation, training, and customer service.
- Plans, directs, and supervises the overall food production and quality control during shift.
- Assists the Executive Chef with menu and recipe development.
- Selects, trains, supervises, and evaluates the Kitchen Supervisors for Dining Services.
- Oversees the training of production staff. May direct their work as needed.
- Assist with purchasing and storage of food service items and supplies.
- Ensures proper cleanliness, sanitation and safe food preparation in accordance with HACCP and local/state codes.
- Monitors customer levels to ensure production satisfies demand while preventing over-production and minimizing the amount of left-over food.
- Monitors food quality and presentation to ensure customer satisfaction.
- Complies with all organizational and departmental personnel policies and procedures including reporting, maximum scheduled hours, and safety procedures.
- Represents Dining Services to the campus community, vendors, other organizations and the public.
- Other duties may be assigned.
POSITIONS DIRECTLY SUPERVISED
Residential Production Manager, Kitchen Supervisors, Dish Room Supervisor, and Custodial Supervisor
TYPICAL WORKING CONDITIONS
Work is typically performed in a food service and kitchen environment; exposure to heat and moisture; continuous contact with staff, campus community, and public. Special events may be held outside on uneven surfaces/grass.
TYPICAL PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Ability to move between various Dining facilities/events; stand and walk for extended periods; lift and move objects weighing up to 50 lbs.; manual dexterity and eye-hand coordination (for use of food service equipment); ability to communicate verbally and in writing. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Occasional travel to professional conferences.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES REQUIREMENTS
- Advanced knowledge of culinary techniques and practices.
- Principles, practices, and procedures of food service production in a volume environment.
- Menu design meeting demand, satisfaction and nutritional needs.
- Purchasing methods and procedures.
- Food storage and inventory management.
- Operation, maintenance, and use of food service equipment.
- Food preparation and presentation.
- Food service sanitation and safety.
- Principles of supervision, employee development, and performance evaluation.
- Direct and supervise the production functions and services for Dining Services.
- Effectively inventory food and supplies.
- Oversee receiving and storage of food and supplies.
- Effectively select, supervise, coordinate, train, and evaluate staff.
- Establish and maintain high quality food standards.
- Analyze food production, developing methods to achieve goals.
- Develop menus with consideration for cost, staffing, and customer satisfaction.
- Proficiently utilize Microsoft Office applications and experience with menu planning and nutritional software.
- Work in a cooperative and professional manner to communicate effectively with a diverse population of staff, students and others.
- Work well under pressure and meet multiple and sometimes competing deadlines.
MINIMUM EDUCATION and EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS
- Associate degree in culinary arts.
- Five (5) years of experience in high volume corporate, hotel, restaurant, or college food service.
- Culinary or food science degree.
- Supervisory experience preferred. Specific experience with institutional food service or high volume commercial or retail food service operations is highly desirable.
- ServSafe Manager Certification or ability to obtain upon hire.
- Possession of or ability to obtain a current and valid California Driver’s license with an acceptable driving record.
- Post-offer, pre-employment physical.
- Satisfactory completion of a background check (including a criminal records check) is required for employment. Associated Students will make a conditional offer of employment which may be rescinded if the background check reveals any disqualifying information, and/or it is discovered that the candidate knowingly withheld or falsified information. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the application status of applicants or continued employment of current Associated Students employees who apply for the position.